Passionflower Oil has been used for many years and is a versatile raw material. Native to South America and Africa, there are more than 500 varieties of Passionflower; it is also grown in Australia and Hawaii. During the 60’s it was all the rage as a natural cure for sleep disorders and anxiety. At one point it had FDA approval to be used as such. In the late 70’s, the FDA withdrew that but it is still used in supplements for those purposes.
More recently, chemists have been formulating lotions, hair care and skin care with the oil. Passionflower oil comes from the seeds of the fruit and is typically yellow to vibrant yellow in color. Because of the nutrients in the oil as well as the fatty acids and antioxidants, it is a nourishing moisturizer in skin care and is particularly beneficial for those with aging, acne-prone, or mature skin.
Passion fruit oil is full of nutrients that are good for skin. Among these are vitamins A and C, essential fatty acids, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and carotenoids. This combination of powerful nutrients provides:
- Protection: Passionflower helps protect against cancer-causing agents, both by deterring their growth and by protecting from DNA-damaging free radicals.
- Anti-aging: Because of the high vitamin C and antioxidant content, passionflower oil helps slow the damage that leads to the appearance of aging. In addition, it also helps preserve collagen and elastin, which keep skin looking firm and youthful.
- Rejuvenating: Passionflower is also a great source of vitamin A in the form of carotenoids, which is critical for cell growth and repair. A number of phytochemicals in the oil help the body produce vitamin A which also helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Plumping: A high content of fatty acids like linoleic and oleic acids “feed” the skin, helping to maintain structure and keeping skin smooth and plump looking. It also helps with appearance of fine lines.
- Hydrating: This oil is light and non-greasy and the skin absorbs it quickly. It’s the perfect moisturizer for all skin types and works well for acne-prone skin as well because of its non-clogging moisturizing action.
- Calming: Like most plant-sourced ingredients, passion fruit oil has an anti-inflammatory property. This may also help reduce swelling and irritation.
Absolutely Natural uses the best Passionflower available and as always, it is used in beneficial amounts in the products where it is part of the formula. Check our ingredient gallery to see which AN products contain passionflower.