In October, we posted a blog about the benefits of exfoliating your face and skin and compared our all natural alternatives to the microbeads used in most products.
We warned about the potential ecological damage these beads could be doing to our precious Earth. It seems our powers to be agree.
On December 28, 2015 President Obama signed the Microbead Free Waters Act of 2015. It’s a step in the right direction but I have a problem with the timeline … companies have to start phasing out the microbeads by July 1, 2017 and then will have a couple of years to complete the reformulations. That is too long.
- 8 tons of microbeads a day are emitted into bodies of water in the U.S.
- 90% of the sea birds in the world have plastic in their stomachs
- Microbeads pick up toxins and are then ingested by fish; those toxins are passed on to humans
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch located in the North Pacific Ocean and estimated to be about the size of Texas is comprised mainly of small plastic particles
- 30 tons of microbeads are washed into the Great Lakes annually
Microbeads are often too harsh especially for those with sensitive skin and can lead to the tearing of the skin. Absolutely Natural offers several natural alternatives.
Read more on our previously written blog post: